‘Homemade Popcorn Chicken couldn’t be easier to make! The key is marinating in buttermilk for that crispy, flaky finish. But warning, these are incredibly moreish!!’
Ingredients (check list):
- 10.6oz / 300g Chicken Breast
- 2-3 cups / 500-750ml Oil suitable for frying (vegetable, canola, sunflower)
- 1 cup / 250ml Buttermilk (or enough to completely cover the chicken)
- 1 cup / 128g Plain Flour
- 1.5 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 3/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Slice your Chicken Breasts into even bite size chunks.
- Combine in a bowl with your Buttermilk, 1 tsp of Salt and a good grinding of Black Pepper. Pop cling film over and marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Preferably overnight.
- In a bowl, combine your Flour, Baking Powder, 2nd tsp of Salt, Smoked Paprika, Cayenne Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Oregano and Black Pepper.
- Take a piece of Chicken and coat it the flour mixture. Really try and get as much flour in the cracks of the chicken. Although it sounds tedious to do it one by one, by this is the best way to get the best coating on the chicken.
- Heat up 2-3 cups of oil, depending on depth of pan. Grab a tiny piece of leftover flour mixture and drop it in. If it sizzles, you’re good to go.
- In batches, add the chicken and fry for around 3-5mins until golden brown. Place on paper towel to drain away excess fat. To test if they’re cooked, just take one piece out and slice it through the centre. It should be white and piping hot.
- Serve with your favourite dip!