Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken – a one pot recipe made in the pressure cooker is the perfect easy meal for busy weeknights. Best of all, the chicken cooks up tender and juicy in a buttery lemon garlic sauce.
Course: Main Course
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 28 minutes
Servings: 6 servings
- 6-8 boneless chicken thighs skinless or with skin*
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves , sliced or minced
- 2 – 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning (I actually usually use 1 – 1 1/2 tablespoon but feel free to adjust to your liking)
- zest of half a lemon
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/3 cup 1/3 cup homemade or low sodium chicken broth **PLEASE SEE NOTES BELOW
- Chopped fresh parsley and lemon slices for garnish if desired
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Instant Pot (I have the 6 Quart DUO)
- OR Cast Iron Skillet
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder and chili flakes.
To cook in the Instant Pot:
- Press the Sauté function (Normal setting) on the Instant Pot and add the olive oil to the pot. (I use a 6 Quart Instant Pot DUO)Place chicken in the Instant Pot and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. This helps to seal in the juices and keep it tender. (You may have to work in batches depending on the size and amount of chicken you are using). Once browned, remove from Instant Pot and set aside.
- Melt butter in Instant Pot and stir in the onions and garlic. Add lemon juice to deglaze pan and cook for 1 minute. Add Italian seasoning, lemon zest and chicken broth.Place the chicken back into the Instant Pot, lock the lid, and turn the valve to SEALING.
- Select the Manual (older models) or Pressure Cook (newer models) button and adjust the timer to 7 minutes.It will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure and start counting down.When done, release the pressure after 2 minutes, then remove your Instant Pot lid.
- Remove chicken from Instant Pot using tongs and set aside on a large serving plate. Stir in heavy cream (if using) into the Instant Pot.(**If you like your sauce thicker – you can thicken with a cornstarch slurry (if not low carb) or 1/2 teaspoon of xanthum gum.)Press off and turn Instant Pot to SAUTE function. Cook and allow sauce to bubble and thicken. Turn off and add chicken back to the Instant Pot to coat with sauce. Sprinkle chicken with chopped parsley and serve hot with your favorite sides. Spoon sauce over chicken and garnish with lemon slices, if desired.
- Serve this Instant Pot lemon garlic chicken with a salad, cauliflower rice or spiralized zucchini noodles.
To cook on the stove:
- In a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat add olive and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees. Transfer browned chicken to plate and set aside.
- Return pan back to heat and melt butter. Stir in the onions and garlic. Add lemon juice to deglaze pan and cook for 1 minute. Add Italian seasoning, lemon zest and chicken broth.Stir in heavy cream (**If you like your sauce thicker – you can thicken with a cornstarch slurry (if not low carb) or 1/2 teaspoon of xanthum gum.). Once the sauce has bubbled and thickened up slightly, add the chicken back into the pan until hot. Sprinkle chicken with chopped parsley and serve hot with your favorite sides. Spoon sauce over chicken and garnish with lemon slices, if desired.
*For chicken breasts: use 3 breasts, sliced horizontally in half.
****I use ⅓ cup of broth combined with the juice from the lemon in my 6 Quart Instant Pot DUO with no problems or *burning sign – if needed you can increase the amount of liquid if this combination doesn’t work for your Instant Pot model