Perfect Chicken Parmesan is the best chicken parmesan recipe you’ll find. Full of flavor, takes minutes to cook, and is my favorite chicken dinner recipe!
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts skinless
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese divided
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil*
- 1 25 ounce jar pasta sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using a large plastic bag or plastic wrap, cover chicken and flatten to half inch thickness using a meat pounder or a rolling pin.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of chicken.
- Add flour to bowl. Add beaten egg to another bowl. Combine bread crumbs with 1/2 cup parmesan (reserving the other half for later) along with the basil and oregano in a dish large enough for the chicken breasts.
- Heat oil in a very large skillet over medium high heat.
- Dredge chicken in flour, then coat with egg, then cover with bread crumb mixture. Press coating onto chicken to get as much as possible to stick. When the oil is very hot, just below the point where it begins to smoke, add your coated chicken. Continue with the remaining chicken breasts.
- Cook each breast until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and transfer to baking dish.
- Cover each breast with Mezzetta Napa Valley Homemade pasta sauce as well as a couple slices of mozzarella and the remaining parmesan cheese. You may reserve some of the sauce to serve with pasta on the side, if desired.
- Cook in preheated oven until cheese has melted, about 5-10 minutes.
- I used a combination of olive oil with avocado oil because it tolerates high temperatures better
- I always choose to put my crumb mixture in a rectangular dish that’s the exact size of the chicken breast. It makes coating the chicken oh-so-easy. The crumb coating I use when making this easy chicken parmesan is a 2:1 mixture of bread crumbs to parmesan cheese plus some herbs like fresh basil.
- If you’re wondering how do you keep chicken parmesan crispy, you must cook the coated breasts in very hot oil in a single layer. This will give them a crispy golden outside and won’t leave them soggy.
Calories: 714kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 48g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 169mg | Sodium: 1672mg | Potassium: 955mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1410IU | Vitamin C: 12.4mg | Calcium: 508mg | Iron: 5.1mg