This Verde Chicken Enchilada Casserole recipe is layered with your favorite chicken enchilada fillings, and baked up with the most delicious homemade green enchilada sauce.
Verde Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large poblano or green bell pepper, cored and diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans beans, rinsed and drained (I used pinto)
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 handfuls fresh baby spinach
- 3 cups (about 1.5 pounds) shredded or diced cooked chicken
- 3 cups green enchilada sauce (or you could substitute salsa verde)
- 12 corn tortillas, halved
- 3 cups shredded Monterrey Jack or Mexican blend cheese
- toppings: chopped fresh cilantro, diced red onion, thinly-sliced green onion and/or diced avocado
- Heat oven to 375°F. Mist a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper and sauté for 6-7 minutes, or until softened. Stir in the beans, corn, spinach, chicken, and 2 cups enchilada sauce, and stir until evenly combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of the remaining enchilada sauce in the baking dish, and spread until the bottom of the dish is evenly coated. Top with a layer of about 8 tortilla halves, so that the entire dish is covered. Top evenly with 1/3 of the chicken mixture, followed by 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat with another layer of tortillas, chicken mixture, and cheese. Followed by a final layer of tortillas, chicken mixture, the remaining 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce, and cheese.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil, then bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan and remove aluminum foil. Uncover and bake for 10 more minutes, until the cheese is thoroughly melted.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm, garnished with your desired toppings.
*To make this recipe gluten-free, double check the labels of all ingredients to ensure that they are certified gluten-free.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!